Sunday, August 12, 2012

Quick Dinner • Mexican Sweet Potatoes

After being on vacation for a couple of weeks, I decided to try to use up some sweet potatoes before they went bad.  I earlier had pinned a recipe that looked delicious and would fit the bill to use up the few sweet potatoes I had on hand.  With all of the ingredients on hand (well, except for the cilantro; oh, and the the canned chipotle peppers), I decided to give it a go for a quick Sunday dinner.

This is the recipe and inspiration for the meal:

Healthy Mexican Sweet Potato Skins
From "Pinch of Yum"


I used this recipe as a guide and modified as I saw fit.  I rarely every follow a recipe fully; well, except when baking.  

For my version:

Microwave 3 sweet potatoes individually using the baked potato mode (please note, I normally don't use the microwave for cooking).

Meanwhile, drain a can of sweet corn and top with some cracked pepper and I used a New Mexican spice blend I purchased from my recent vacation and then let it saute in a small frying pan.

After the potatoes were soft, remove them from the skin and put in a medium bowl with the cream cheese and sour cream.  

Blend into a smooth mixture and then add one can of drained black beans and the roasted corn.  

Place the Mexican Sweet Potatoes in a glass pie plate and top with your desired amount of shredded cheese and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 15 minutes.  

To Serve:

We used the mixture as you would a refried bean and used it as a topping of a tortilla layered with chicken and pork.  

What a great meal and definitely a keeper, whether you follow the original recipe or use it to inspire your own version!

No comments:

Post a Comment